Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Miracle of the Morning




When I remember You on my bed,
         I meditate on You in the night watches.
Because You have been my help,
         Therefore in the shadow of Your wings I will rejoice.
My soul follows close behind You;
         Your right hand upholds me. 

Today’s Reading: Psalms 63-65; Romans 6


Recently I changed my sleep schedule so that I went to sleep earlier and wake up earlier. It was a challenge because historically I have always been a night owl. Even when I was a young child I would stay up entirely too late watching TV or just sitting in bed with my thoughts.

Looking back on those times and thinking about myself now, I realize that much of that time was spent meditating and I didn’t even know it. The solitude of the night allows for a certain level of intimate privacy that just cannot be found in the day. The day is filled with noise of chores and errands and the stresses of what needs to be done. Days are filled with work and time spent with loved ones. I’ve always relished the privacy of the night. I was free to spend uninterrupted hours letting my mind wander wherever it wanted to go. My soul was free to grow.

I don’t much like the idea of giving that up.

But I decided to change my schedule because it will help me be more effective with my time. You know how the old saying goes: “the early bird gets the worm”. Many of the most successful people are successful because they start their day before everyone else. I thought I’d give it a try.

So this week I have done just that. I’ve woken up before the sun for the past five days and something amazing happened. I found it even easier to meditate in the morning than I did at night. I still found myself in the still of darkness, but there was a key difference. Instead of my mind running a mile a minute with all of the stresses and worries of the day, it was refreshed and renewed from plenty of hours of sleep. Whatever running it needed to do was completed during the night. It was a new day with a cleaner slate.

I woke up already feeling connected to God.

If that wasn’t enough, I was able to witness a miracle every morning. I watched the sun rise. There is something very therapeutic about watching the sun rise. It is like watching God gently wake up the rest of the world. The sounds of crickets gradually change into the sounds of birds chirping. Soon afterwards the city rises. People begin their morning jogs, a few dogs bark their good mornings to their neighbors, and the rituals of the day start to stretch for their marathon runs throughout the day.

But before this begins, before the normal sets in with its dull drowning sound, I was able to see the miraculous hidden underneath it; and remember throughout the day that no matter what anyone says, miracles do happen every single day.


7 comments:

  1. Dang, I just might have to wake up early enough to see the sun rise. I can't remember the last time I've seen a sunrise....the sunset, yes. And it is truly beautiful. Our three year old said God was painting in the sky the other week as we passed the most gorgeous array of colors. It was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. You've inspired me to give the early to bed early to rise method. I'd like to share your blog on my site if ok with you. You'd get the credit of course.

    A.C. Moore
    MOORENOVELS.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. @melody definitely give it a try for a couple days and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ammanuel sure! Go ahead and post it. Just include a link so that the readers can come back to this site as well. Thanks for the love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a great post. there is nothing better than spending the beginning of your day with God. there is something absolutely refreshing and beautiful about the morning. lately i have been sleeping in way more than I would like...and missing this most precious time. thanks for the reminder...you seem to be good at doing that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i would have read this during my winter break, and i fully agree when it's late night or early morning :P there is this quiet atmoshpere everyone is asleep and it feels like it's just you and God and but there is something about the morning it's as if it's a calm delight..... i even think there is a proverb that says to start your day early in the morning :).....but now i'm thinking i should try something like this though, at least to see the sunrise....to God be the Glory for such a display (sunrise)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Luis That old phrase "the early bird gets the worm" is really true. My CEO and CFO both have confirmed that this is one of the keys to their success. My CEO wakes up at 4:30 am every morning to start his day.... crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/