Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Power of Kanye West



For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. – Romans 7:14-15

Today’s Reading: Psalms 66-67; Romans 7


I recently had lunch with two inspiring fellows, Jim and Joe. We were talking about all kinds of things related to our spirituality but there were two things from our time together that jumped out at me when I read the words above.

The first was a conversation that centered on hypocrites. They asked me how I came to where I am spiritually. I explained how some people who claim to be “Christian” are the same folks who seemed to be doing so much ill in this world. I had to understand how these people could claim faith in the same God that I believe in but act so contrary to what I believe. So, I dove back into the Bible for answers.

As we discussed this idea further Jim said something like this:

It is the hypocrites that are the courageous ones.

Wow.

Shortly after the meal was over we walked back toward my car. Jim bid Joe and I farewell and we were left to our own one on one conversation. We started talking about Hip-Hop and artists that we like and Joe brought up Kanye West. He said that one of the things he likes about Kanye is his honesty. Kanye discusses some Christian values in his songs but in a way that shows his struggle with them. And he does it for the whole world to see.

Kanye is one of my favorite artists today and someone that I actually look up to. These two exchanges are the reason why.

It takes courage to stand up and speak out for what you believe in.

Regardless of one’s particular faith, most of us have certain core concepts of decency that are shared across the board. We say that we believe in the golden rule: treat others the way we want to be treated. But even in this seemingly simple task all of us fail. We all have our moments where we fall short of this and the other standards we hold ourselves to.

This is why I am so impressed by those brave individuals who are outspoken about their beliefs. They speak candidly about the way they feel the world should be, knowing that they too cannot live up to their standard all of the time.

When they fall we trample upon them. We terrorize them with words of judgment and ridicule. We call them hypocrites for saying one thing and acting another way.

But aren’t we all hypocrites? Yes, we are.

It’s just that the majority of us don’t have the courage to step out in front of the world and loudly proclaim what we believe. And even fewer of us have the strength and courage to stand back up after we have fallen, after the world responds to our shortcomings and failures with slander and disdain.

Kanye is not perfect nor has he ever claimed to be. But the power of Kanye West is in his faithful courage. It is in his fearlessness to stand in front of all of us and speak his truth. It is in his audacity to stand back up again after he has fallen and proclaim his truth again and again.

Like many of his fans I am encouraged by his journey. I wish him the best and hope that he has the strength to maintain the courage he has shown us over the years.

I am rooting for him. I hope that you are too. 


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Word. I'm down with Kanye. He accepts experimenting and being experimented on. We all have our issues and he admits em.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/