Friday, September 17, 2010

A Spiritual Gangsta



And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope. Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 60-62; Romans 5


I was at my Dad’s church recently and he was preaching on faith. Now I’ve heard him speak on faith countless times but he always finds a way of dropping a new nugget of knowledge in there that I hadn’t heard before.

This time he was talking about some examples from his life where his faith has grown. Oftentimes it is in the overcoming of trials and tribulations that our faith grows because these times are opportunities for us to see the miracles that God works in our lives. So as he finished up several stories he said something that slapped me in the face. It was something like this:

“So now when something bad happens or I experience a set back I laugh because I know that I will be blessed.”

Huh?

It was as if he almost looks forward to the trials in his life. I kinda understood what he was saying but I couldn’t identify with it AT ALL. It didn’t make an ounce of sense to me but somehow if felt right. When I observed the contrast of these two feelings (on the one hand thinking he was totally bonkers, and on the other thinking that he was right) I realized that he’s just at another level that I haven’t reached yet.

Then I read the passage above.

He was speaking from a place of faith that I aspire to, but is totally foreign to me. How much more miraculous is life when we can see through the trials and find the blessings within them?

I think that I am getting better with this. I’ve experienced some trials recently and illogically felt a sense of peace about them. Perhaps when I see how God gets me through them I will reach that higher level of spiritual gangsta.

Stay tuned… we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/