Friday, September 16, 2011

More Like You


He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
  And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
  and to walk humbly with your God. – Micah 6:8


Today’s Reading: Micah 6-7; Revelation 13


Dear God,

Why is this so hard for us? Why do we fail at justice like your people did in the time of Micah? We strive for ourselves. We maximize our own self interest, and for what? At the end of the day what have we gained?

When I studied economics in college I learned that western economic theory is based on the idea that everyone maximizes their own self interest. If we were to expand this line of thinking even acts of charity are done to make us feel better. Healing the environment is done for our own ability to live healthily on the planet. Even providing for our families is done to make us feel better.

What does this say about us?

God, I believe that we need you more now than ever. We need help to see the truth of who you are so that we can see outside ourselves. Of course you already came and even when you were here many couldn’t see you for who you were. I’m sorry about that. I’m sure that really hurt your feelings.

I know that as a believer I am part of the body of Christ which means that I have to be an ambassador for you here on the earth. I have to reflect your infinite goodness in my finite and limited self so that when people see me they also get a glimpse of you. Please help me with this huge responsibility so that I can do my part to show those around me who you are by the contents of my life.

Many people that I know are tired of all the talk. They are tired of hearing people preach at them about how they should live their lives while these same messengers aren’t living up to that same standard.

One of my heroes, Gandhi, was quoted as saying "Oh, I don't reject Christ. I love Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ." How true these words are! These words have touched me ever since the first time I read them.

Please help us to take up this challenge with faith, a warm heart, and loving action. Please help us to be more like you.


Food for Thought: What can we change about our daily lives to be more like Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/