Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Sense of Urgency




“A curse on anyone who is lax in doing the LORD’s work!
   A curse on anyone who keeps their sword from bloodshed! – Jeremiah 48:10


Today’s Reading: Jeremiah 48-49; Hebrews 7


When I was a little boy my only chore at my Dad’s house was to take out the trash. My Dad always said that women shouldn’t have to touch garbage if there is a man around. So once I got big enough to lift the trash bag out of the can then I became the little refuse man.

Unfortunately I was a little forgetful fellow as well.
It wasn’t that I was being disobedient; it was that I would forget to do it if I didn’t do it immediately after my dad told me to. In the beginning my Dad didn’t see it that way. He thought I was slackin’ on my job. But, once he realized that my heart was in the right place he changed his strategy.

When he noticed that the trash needed to be taken out he told me to do it immediately while he watched. Soon after that I was able to handle the responsibility on my own but I needed that little extra nudge of urgency to bring the message home.

I’m learning that God had to be the same way with me in life. After a certain point my success in life wasn’t a function of my desire, but more so that I would let myself get distracting from what mattered by the things that didn’t. Now God the Father is teaching me the same lesson that my earthly father tried to teach me many years ago.

Obedience is something we must run to. Walking ain’t enough.

The sooner we act on our purpose the sooner it will be realized. It is when we delay that we find ourselves feeling inadequate, frustrated, bored, and confused.

If there is something on your heart to accomplish get busy working on it now! If you start putting things off until tomorrow, it may never get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/