Saturday, July 3, 2010

What Do You Really Want?


When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." Acts 3:3-6


Today’s Reading: Nehemiah 7-9; Acts 3


I wonder if many of the problems we have in our lives are a result of us not asking for what we really want…


I had an email conversation with my cousin the other day. She shared some of her goals with me and I shared some with her. One of the things that she asked me was something like this: “How do the things that you want work together? Is their any synergy? If they work together then you will be happier.”


I’m summarizing… but what she said was dead on.


Often times I have focused on what I think I need right now instead of what I really need to ensure long term joy. It’s the difference between someone who is unemployed looking for a “job” versus sitting down and thinking about what brings them true joy and seeking out opportunities in that field.


For me the thing that makes me focus on the short term instead of the long term is fear. Sometimes I have a hard time seeing the forest because I am looking at the rocks lining the trees before me.


Thank you cousin for reminding me to ask for what will bring me lasting joy rather than short term relief.


The Great Challenge continues on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/