Thursday, July 22, 2010

Don't Pay Them No Nevermind



Why do the wicked live on,
       growing old and increasing in power?
They see their children established around them,
       their offspring before their eyes.
Their homes are safe and free from fear;
       the rod of God is not upon them. – Job 20: 7-9


Today’s Reading: Job 20-21; Acts 10:24-48


This is one of those quintessential questions about religion or really any form or way of life based upon morality. Why does it seem like “bad” people live better lives than “good” people?


I’m sure most of you know the “good” and nice old lady who was poor all her life. She always volunteered and helped others but never seemed to reap a reward. And you know what folks always say about this person…


“Ooooh child she may be poor now but would you rather store up your riches here in this world or in heaven forever.”


Riiiiight…


How about asking the person who can’t afford their next meal? I think they might opt for option A. Give me them riches baby!


I’m only half kidding but I’d be lying if I said that not a single part of me was feeling Job on this one. By no stretch of the imagination have I ever experienced poverty but I can tell you that I have never experienced being rich either. I have looked at people who are rich but seem to be deplorable human beings and wondered the same thing Job did.


Why them and why not me.


Honestly… I don’t think that the answer lies in how “good” someone is. I think the answer is beyond the grasp of human understanding.


But what I do know is that whenever I have focused on why someone else has a lot in life that they don’t seem to deserve I have lost track of what I need to be doing with my life.


When we take our eyes off the path it isn’t surprising that we tend to drift off of it as well.


So yes, I do think this is a valid philosophical question that merits millennia of discussion; but yo man… if we don’t have an answer by now… I’ll leave it to other folks to try to figure out.


Let me just focus on getting these dreams and fulfilling my purpose. I’m sure I’ll be better off that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/