Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Critique Ain't New, But it Still Rings True



A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13: 34-35

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 19-20; John 13:21-38


So the homie Yohance of Merc80.com sent me this link to the video below.



My first thought was damn… it’s a REALLY dope song. I love the message and I think that what Rhymefest is saying is on point. If one were to watch many of the ministers that you see on TV you get the sense that we can just pay for blessings. If we pray and ask God for what we want and pay the church their 10% then Boom! It’s all gravy baby!


This is not a new critique. This very real notion of selling blessings goes back to the selling of indulgences. Martin Luther did an even better job than Rhymefest on this issue back in 1517.


The critique is really really old.


But that makes me think about the passage above. Are folks who claim to be Christians really dedicated to loving those around them?


Ok true, the folks we see on TV are not a representation of all Christians but at the same time I’m sure you can dig what I’m talking about here. If love were at the forefront then there would be no room for these perceptions.


Personally, I’m getting tired of seeing songs and art and other forms of commentary like this. I’m not tired of it because it is offensive or wrong. I’m actually not offended at all.


I’m just tired that after hundreds of years of this same issue a talented artist like Rhymefest can make this point and it still rings true.


I guess that’s the thing with people. None of us are perfect. There will always be a select few who choose to pimp a good thing to their own benefit. It happens with every religion and system of thought really.


I’m just tired of it.


Dope song tho…

1 comment:

  1. Hey Man of God, I believe you made an excellent point in stating "If love were at the forefront then there would be no room for these perceptions."

    I believe these types of actions are locators of where we really are.

    "Your treasure is where your heart is."

    This is an old "GAME" that's not going anywhere. I believe God uses these ugly distinctions that are flagrantly and strategically placed in our faces to see. I will even go as far as to say for some individuals, to get mad enough to do something about.

    That's why there are Lawyers, Teachers, and etc...God created us to become the answer to someone else’s need.

    Those things which make you angry, cry, and stir-up your passion, those are the things that God has given you to fulfill.

    Much Love

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/