Wednesday, April 28, 2010

PASA Lessons: Lead with Love


Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor, so that there shall not be anyone like you among the kings all your days. 1 Kings 3: 11-13

Today's Reading: 1 Kings 3-5; Luke 20: 1-26


Ok…


So, Solomon is doper than I. I can deal with that.


I’ve been talking all this time about pursuing dreams and what not. But, when Solomon is asked by God what he wishes to have he says wisdom.


I’m a know–it-all and even I wouldn’t have said that. It makes me think of how much love it takes to be a great leader.


Yes you read that right… love.


Have you ever been a leader of an organization? I have. And let me tell you. It’s a pretty thankless job.


During my sophomore year at Pomona College I was president of our Pan-African Student Association (PASA). I’m not even sure how that happened. I think it might have been one of those moments when they asked for volunteers and everyone took a step back while I was picking my nose or something.


All I know is that I was nominated, the nomination was seconded, and within about ten minutes I had the title.


I was cool with it though because I was really excited about the organization and really wanted to help out. During my freshman year my friends Kieran, Aaron, Yohance, Kofi, and Christina were really involved with the group. We were happy to do our part to help.


But man… I learned a whole lot that year.


One of the things I learned was that being a good leader means that it ain’t about you.


There were so many things that I wanted to be done a certain way but often times it turned out not to be the best way. It was frustrating to not get my way at times, and even more frustrating to realize that my way wasn’t the best way.


I had a ways to go on the path toward humility back then. Still do.


This is why I’m so impressed by Solomon. This dude had the opportunity to ask God for ANYTHING. And what does he ask for? He asks for the thing that he thinks will best help him serve the people he is leading.


He asks for wisdom.


It is this attitude of humility and sacrificial love that separates politicians from leaders, hustlers from servants.


Are you in it for you or for others? That is the question.


Solomon was in it for his people that he loved and as a result God gave him way more than he could have ever dreamed.


I hope that the next time I am in the position to lead I will have grown to be more like Solomon.


We live and learn right?

5 comments:

  1. Hey man of God, the bible describes Solomon as a wise man and there would never be another like him.

    But I have to interject, with all of that wisdom, he still acted like a fool. He made a complete mess of what God had given him.

    In the end, he called it all VANITY....

    The real issue at hand is not whether you have love, wisdom, or even faith. The issue that people struggle with is how to operate in what God has already given them.

    God has already given us everything we need that pertains to life and Godliness....

    I believe our daily lives are far more successful when we seek strategy on how to flow in whatever the situation may require.

    It simply just does not make sense to ask for something and then lack the undestanding to operate in it.

    Get knowledge, get wisdom, and in ALL your getting, get understanding....

    However, I do agree with needing heapings of LOVE in leading people. In ministry, I have learned this hard lesson. You simply cannot flow in God's annointing without first, receiving His love and then extending His love. Even to those lovely people who work your last nerve.

    Blessings
    Nicwithpurpose

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It simply just does not make sense to ask for something and then lack the undestanding to operate in it." hmmmm

    I disagree here. Have you ever known when you were doing the wrong thing but done it anyway?

    I know that I have. The mistakes that he made were not failures in understanding or even failure in using that understanding. But rather, he was a person who experienced many temptations and gave into some of them.

    Temptation is a formidable foe. The only person that I know of to have ever perfectly withstood it's grasp is Jesus.

    I see how he was able to mess up with all that God given wisdom in the same way that I see how David messed up even though he had a heart like God's...

    They were men... not God. We will all stumble. The questions is what will we do when it's time to get back up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. also you're jumping ahead!!! hahaha. I know screws up but I'm following the schedule. But you do get bonus points for knowing what time it is.

    I always enjoy your input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Always obliged.

    Okay... so how do I redeem these bonus points?

    Is that like a free Grande Carmel Frap or something? :)-

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I'll have to figure some kind of reward system... but until then props from the author for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/