Monday, March 15, 2010

A Letter to Peter After the Fall

"You will all fall away," Jesus told them, "for it is written:
" 'I will strike the shepherd,
and the sheep will be scattered.' But after I have risen, I will go ahead of you into Galilee."
Peter declared, "Even if all fall away, I will not."
"I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "today—yes, tonight—before the rooster crows twice you yourself will disown me three times."
But Peter insisted emphatically, "Even if I have to die with you, I will never disown you." And all the others said the same. Mark 14: 27-31



Hey Peter,

Sometimes you rub people the wrong way. I’ve heard folks talk about you. They talk about how you think you are so fresh and so clean. But you know what? I really like you.

I love how passionate you are about your feelings. I love how you continually strive to be the best that you can be. After all, that is probably part of the reason that Jesus gave you your new name. You are a solid rock.

How did it feel when Jesus told you that you would deny him? I’m sure it felt terrible. Here was the person that you loved and believed in more than anyone else in the world seeming to tell you that he didn’t believe in you.

That’s heart breaking.

But I suppose that it was no more heart breaking then when you actually denied him…

But this is why I love you man. You go balls to the walls. You expect the most from yourself and you try your best to deliver. And when you cannot come through, for whatever reason, you are devastated.

I’m trying to be more like you. I am finally matching the pace of my steps with the intensity of my heart.

This is the only way to live one’s dream.

So I’m just writing this to say thank you. Thank you for being as great in your mistakes as you are in your triumphs. Thanks for showing me that when you fall there is always a chance to get back up and to keep walking again.

Because that’s what life is anyway right? We crawl before we walk. We walk before we run. And the lucky ones some how figure out how to fly.

You flew even though you stumbled; and that gives me the courage to stretch my wings.


Sincerely,

Clarence


Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 26-27; Mark 14: 27-53

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! I am LOLing because you're really talking about Peter like he's your close friend!
    I also appreciate the messages that you gleaned from the reading. At times we are so judgmental of people and their actions forgetting that we ourselves are human! Thanks for bringing us off our high horses!
    This post makes me think of Donnie McClurkin's "We Fall Down, But We Get Up"! Love that song!
    Jasmine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In addition to the readings for the day, I'd love to know what you're listening to! You seem to have great tastes in music and I'd love to add to my praise and worship music :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jas,

    Peter is the close homie! (or at least in my crazy mind). Yeah I'm not a fan of judging... not one bit. We gotta give others and ourselves a lot of grace.

    In regards to your question about songs here are a few that I am diggin right now.

    I Will Bless the Lord by Bryon Cage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-PWFapAGM

    Blessings of Abraham by Donald Lawrence & Tri City Singers (my anthem)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqrMnwz0U7E

    This is my "Turn My Swagger on Song" Feels so Good by Dwele on Sketches of a Man. Clearly not related to the theme of the blog but it's dope.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2M-G4AOVu0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is very encouraging. Peter is one of my favorite apostles. I can totally identify with the leadership of Peter, and how his "ruler ship gifts" sometimes get in the way.

    I believe Peter was sincere in his exchange of love and dedication to Jesus. However, at that critical time to prove loyalty, he just couldn't stand. I believe that Peter through his failure, came into a whole new understanding of God's grace for him. Although he was sent by Christ with the authority to overcome, yet in that situation, all he could do was receive God's grace for falling.

    Thank God for His grace and mercies which are new every morning.

    Blessings

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/