Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Blessing of Abraham

If you fully obey the LORD your God and carefully follow all his commands I give you today, the LORD your God will set you high above all the nations on earth. All these blessings will come upon you and accompany you if you obey the LORD your God:

You will be blessed in the city and blessed in the country.

The fruit of your womb will be blessed, and the crops of your land and the young of your livestock—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks.

Your basket and your kneading trough will be blessed.

You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out… - Except from Deuteronomy 28: 1-14


When I was a kid I never liked Gospel music.

Gospel music was for old people. And I was not old. I liked Hip Hop, R&B and old Soul Music. I was even growing to love all that Luther that my mom made me listen to.

But Gospel? Nope.

It was just the opposite of cool ya know? They were always talking about the same things and all of the songs sounded the same.

Love God, praise God, thank God, God is wonderful, God is special.

Okaaaay… I get it.

Or so I thought.

It wasn’t until I became a semi-adult a few years back that I started to get the point. I was reading through the Bible for the first time in over ten years and discovering all of these new things about it and myself.

Even then I was reluctant to give Gospel music a chance.

Then I heard this song “Blessings of Abraham”. It was saying all these uplifting things about achieving your dreams and following your passions. It was so encouraging! Get your inheritance was the message.

And by inheritance they mean your dreams.

That’s such a cool way of looking at it. It’s already yours, and with faith you can go get it.

But what the heck is the Blessing of Abraham?

And then it clicked...

This song was about one of my favorite passages in the Bible! Deuteronomy 28: 1-14 talks about the blessing of obedience. This is essentially the extension of the promise that God made to Abraham. Stay on the right path and I got your back.

Pretty good deal.

This is the moment that I realized that Gospel music at its best is the Bible’s soundtrack.

So if you’re like me and frown upon Gospel music… give it a chance. You might find one day that it will help you get to where you want to be.


Peep this as you listen to the joint below. Enjoy.




Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 28-29; Mark 14: 54-72

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/