Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day

Ironically today’s reading covers bodily discharges and STDs…

Yuck.

But I wanted to take this opportunity to give you my take on Valentine's Day.

I have always had two very opposing views. One was the super rational side of me. I always thought that it was a very manipulative holiday. It seemed like a day designed to hustle money out of dude’s pockets or a day to make single women feel sad about their lack of companionship. Why put people through this stress? Folks in relationships should treat everyday like Valentines Day right?

Stop being a hater Clarence.

The other side of me is the super romantic side. I like the idea of having a day dedicated to expressing love to the one who is most important to you. Sure we should do this everyday but why not have a day specifically set aside for this purpose? Plus it gives all of the lame dudes a chance to make up for the other 364 days.

That’s not a winning strategy but hey, some of us need it.

But now my take on it is a bit different. I look at it now as a reminder that we should express the love that we feel toward all of our loved ones. It is not just a day for romance, flowers and diamonds. It is a day of joyful giving.

For me, the exercise of showing love to others is the surest path toward true joy and fulfillment in life.

If it takes a few De Beers commercials for me to be reminded of that then so be it.

This is Love.


Today’s Reading: Leviticus 15-17; Matthew 27: 1-26

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/