Friday, January 1, 2010

In The Beginning...




I love the first two verses in the first chapter of Genesis:


Verse 1:“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”

Verse 2: “Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.”


These two verses have always made me wonder why people think there must be some huge conflict between science and God. When I read these verses it’s like WAIT A MINUTE.

There’s a lot missing there.

I see in my imagination millions of years flying by. I see the birth of a universe (perhaps one of many) and the development of stars and planets and galaxies. I see how life on our planet has evolved species by species to the point where we are today. In the seven days that God created the world I see seven ages and many millennia. A lot of hard core Bible literalist might disagree with me on this.

And I’m ok with that.

I have come to understand that the Bible is the story of God’s relationship with people; but on a very need to know basis. Does that mean that the Bible is a fairytale? No. On the contrary, I believe it is the truth. However, I don’t think that the Bible needs to explain how the dinosaurs came and went in order for it to be accurate. The truth that I see is a spiritual one; which is perhaps why at times it is so hard to understand with our limited minds.

What I see in the disciplines of mathematics, physics, and chemistry is a study God’s blueprints of the universe. Nature abides by certain rules and it is our growing understanding of these God given rules that has allowed us to search deep into the cosmos as well as deep within the contents of cells. And with open minds perhaps faith and science together will help us all to be better at searching deep within ourselves and each other to see the miracle that our continued existence represents.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/