Tuesday, February 7, 2012

21 Days of Listening Day 14: Reconciliation

This Week's Reading: Matthew Ch 5-7

“Therefore, if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother or sister has something against you, leave your gift there in front of the altar. First go and be reconciled to them; then come and offer your gift. - Matthew 5:23-24


Yesterday I talked about forgiveness. This is the other side of that tough coin of love: Reconciliation. 

Another thing that has plagued my quiet time in the past is knowing that someone has an issue with me. This is the kind of thing that can tear you up inside, especially if it is someone that you really care a lot about. 

If you are stubborn like me, then I'm sure you have experienced this. 

Have you ever had a falling out with someone, but for whatever reason you didn't want to resolve the issue? Usually both people are somewhat to blame. After all it does take two to tango. But when I was in those situation where I felt that the blame was less than 50% mine I would hold my ground and wait for the other person to apologize before I would even consider trying to reconcile. 

This ended up being another form of bondage. 

Instead of hearing from the Holy Spirit about the things I was praying on (my life's purpose, open doors for new opportunities and the like) the Holy Spirit constantly put these people on my mind. It wasn't until I rediscovered the verse above while I was stubbornly planted in unforgiveness that I finally understood it. 

Some relationships cannot be reconciled. It takes two to faithfully do that. But what we can do is apologize for our part of the fault between us. This way we have done our part to make the relationship whole. If the person doesn't respond in kind that is ok. That's between them and God. Either way it is worth it. At the very least you will do good by extending them an olive branch of love. At most you will regain a friend or loved one. 

So while we cannot fix every broken relationship on our own, we can say "I'm sorry". 

Those two words go a long way. 


Food for Thought: Is there anyone that you need to apologize to? Why haven't you done it already? Does it make sense to initiate an apology with this person?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/