Monday, August 8, 2011

The Questions...

“It will be for a time, times and half a time. When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed.”
I heard, but I did not understand. So I asked, “My lord, what will the outcome of all this be?” – Daniel 12:7-8


Today’s Reading: Daniel 11-12; Jude


“What will the outcome of all this be?”

If only I had a dollar for every time that I have asked that question. I’d be somewhere in Brazil right now sitting on the beach, drinking a caipirinha trying to decide between writing and chillin’ as the two best options for how to spend the rest of my afternoon.

Unfortunately asking these kinds of questions has not netted me free greenback manna from the sky but in all truth it has given me something even more valuable.

Peace.


There are so many things about the world that confuse and bother me. I wonder why people tend to act the way they do, or why we have homeless people, or why certain situations have to be the way that they are. I used to try to figure it all out on my own as if somewhere in the deepest recesses of my mind I could obtain the key to unlocking the mysteries of the purpose of life.

I didn’t find it. If you found it, please share it with me. Thanks.

Something changed though when I started to ask God these questions instead of asking myself. No, I didn’t always hear a booming voice from on high answer my questions but I found that God has his own way of nudging me in the right direction.

Sometimes an answer came in a whisper of a thought, other times I’d pray for an answer and some random person would give it to me in a conversation. Other times I heard the answers in a sermon or in a song on the radio. Other times I heard nothing in the form of a direct answer, but in those times God reminded of things that were more important, that he had better things for me to do than to figure out things that are beyond my control.

God loves it when we come to him with everything; our questions, our doubts, our concerns, and our joys. Often times people try to show us the fire and brimstone part of God but too often we miss the father, mentor and friend aspect of God.

If you’ve never talked to God before just give it a try. Don’t worry if you feel crazy when you do it. Just try it. Besides, when you think about it, who isn’t just a little bit crazy anyway?

I’m willing to bet that if you start asking God questions he’ll start providing answers.

2 comments:

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/