Monday, August 15, 2011

God! Show Yourself!

And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and our daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions. – Joel 2:28


Today’s Reading: Joel 1-3; Revelation 5


A few months ago I was talking to a friend of mine about God and it was pretty clear that he wasn’t so sure about this whole God thing. We were talking about the state of the world and how there are so many terrible things going on, and he came to the conclusion that
there must not be a God worth believing in if He would let all of these things happen the way that they are happening.

I told him that I was sure that there is a God and that he is very real. He asked me how and I told him because I’ve heard from him.

This kind of freaked him out. He knows that I’m not a crazy person but I’m sure that I was sounding quite crazy in that moment. So then I challenged him to put God to the test. Here’s how the conversation went:

Me: I talk to God all the time.
Him: Really? (not really believing me but respectfully curious to see how deep the rabbit hole goes for me).
Me: Yep, and you can hear from Him too if you want to. Do you want to hear from Him?
Him: *horrified silence…*
Me: Well I’ll tell you this. If you decide that you really want to hear from God just ask him to show himself in a way that is undeniable to you. If you do this I guarantee that He will show himself.


At this point in the conversation he was totally weirded out by his friend who suddenly turned into a crazy Jesus freak.

But I was very serious.

If you’ve never heard from God and don’t believe that it is possible give it a try (if you’re not scurrrred). Here’s all you have to do. Just say “God, if you are real, show yourself in a way that I cannot deny that it is you because I have never seen you so I don’t believe that you are real.”

But if you decide to do this be ready for the consequences. God will come and say hello. What will you do next when that happens?

I’m not sure if my buddy ever took me up on that bet but maybe one day he will. We shall see.

Food for Thought: Do you talk to God? Have you ever heard from God in one way or another? How so? If you haven’t heard from God would you be willing to dare Him to show himself?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/