Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Calling A Spade A Spade

“Son of man, I have made you a watchman for the people of Israel; so hear the word I speak and give them warning from me. When I say to the wicked, ‘You wicked person, you will surely die,’ and you do not speak out to dissuade them from their ways, that wicked person will die for their sin, and I will hold you accountable for their blood. But if you do warn the wicked person to turn from their ways and they do not do so, they will die for their sin, though you yourself will be saved. – Ezekiel 33:7-9


Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 33-34; 1 Peter 5


Dear God,

What is the difference between speaking the truth and judging others? What should we do when we know that something is wrong, that someone is representing something false as if it were truth but we cannot prove it?


The May 21st shenanigans are a good example of this for me. Dude was clearly off base, clearly not in line with scripture but he had his perspective. Does it do more harm than good to not “judge” him for what I believe to be flawed teaching? Is calling out the falsehoods in someone’s claim the same as judging them?

This is kind of like how we have come to use the notion that someone is“hating” on another person. When we say that someone is hating on us we don’t mean that they hate us, but we do mean that they are unfairly judging us, unfairly characterizing us as something that we are not. My friends are very well aware of the fact that I think that way too many folks hate on Kobe Bryant. The same goes for Lebron James since the decision. After a certain point it’s like ok folks… relax… it ain’t THAT bad.

But what if it is that bad? What if someone really is spreading terribleness through their actions or words in such a way that it is affecting others? Is calling them out on it judging them? Am I spiritually hating on them, or am I just calling a spade a spade. To what extent should we label others through the rules of our truth?

I guess that’s the line. When I am using my ideas or my truth then perhaps I’m out of line. When I use your ideas and your truth then I’m probably safe right? Well hopefully so. Many people have said that they were using your truth to do many terrible things… which gets us back to where we started.

Except that it doesn’t. I believe that deep down inside everyone knows truly what is right and wrong. We know what truth is when we see it, and we can smell a lie when it’s coming. Even the whitest of lies leaves a foul taste in your mouth.

In the end I hear you saying that we just have to trust you. The energy that we spend commenting on others can be better spent on doing what we can to make the world a better place or pursuing the purpose that you have for our lives.

Life is about living, not watching other people live it.

So I guess I have my answer. When I find myself focusing on how bad someone else is or how what they are doing is so wrong it is a better idea to focus instead on what I can do to make things better. Maybe in some instances it is speaking out against the lies. Other times it may be acting in ways that affirm life in the best ways that I know now.

Regardless of what it is it should be done with my eyes fixed on You and with a humble heart.

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/