Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's OK To Be Mad



I cry aloud to the LORD;
   I lift up my voice to the LORD for mercy.
I pour out before him my complaint;
   before him I tell my trouble. – Psalm 142: 1-2




I remember when I was younger I got the impression that I had to censor myself to God. God was this big ominous entity and I had to tread lightly. I had to do my best not to piss him off or risk incurring his wrath.

One of the sad side effects of this was that I didn’t have a meaningful relationship with Him.

Reading the Psalms has reinforced in me is the kind of relationship that God wants to have with us. There are Psalms of joy and thanksgiving; but there are also Psalms of pain, anger, and regret. Some of the Psalmists are none to pleased with God and are holding His foot to the fire with their expectations of deliverance.

I believe that God wants us to take this kind of license with him. Our relationship with God should be like any other healthy relationship. We need to communicate freely. It’s not like God doesn’t already know how you feel so why are you frontin’?

Keep it real.

What I have found in my short journey is that the more real I am, the more open I am to receive whatever message I am looking for. When I close up and hold back the things that I want to say a domino effect ensues. The first thing that happens is that I start praying the same things over and over again. (I mean really how many times can you say The Lord’s Prayer or pray for the well being of family and friends?) Next thing I know several days or weeks have passed where I haven’t prayed at all.

It’s not as if God has gone anywhere, but rather I was the one who shut down the pathways of communication.

So if you are mad at God and want to tell him off I say do it! I’m sure you will be sorry about it later if you crossed the line. You can repent at that time. It is better to vent your frustrations and possibly say something that you shouldn’t have said than to say nothing at all.

The secret to a fulfilling spiritual life is constant communication with God. If we stop talking it becomes all the more difficult to listen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/