Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Convo With Dad



These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the culmination of the ages has come. So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don’t fall! No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it. – 1 Corinthians 10:11-13




I had an interesting conversation with my Dad today. We hadn’t talked in a while but that was really my bad. I tend to get tunnel vision sometimes; and when I get super focused, I forget to reach out to those around me. The last few months of fasting and meditation have been like that for me and I forgot that I had been out of touch for so long.

It was nice to catch up.

We talked for about an hour about some problems I have been facing and some things that have been on my mind. It was in this conversation that I remembered the value of family, but especially those family members that have come before me. As we discussed things he came with personal anecdotes from his life. Many of the things that I have been experiencing are things that he went through. He shared with me the mistakes that he made and the wisdom that he gained from them in the hopes that I could learn from him rather than learning the hard way.

I don’t know if you are like me but sometimes we have to remember to be open and transparent with our loved ones that we can trust. Our parents and grandparents, aunts, uncles and mentors, cannot fulfill their roles as leaders for us if we do not share our struggles and triumphs. Sure it may be humbling at times but that’s the thing… it is much better to be humbled in the presence of love than to be humbled by the cruel, cold world out there.

So remember this the next time you need advice on something or even just a listening ear. We all have at least one person around us who has been there before. They have made some of the same mistakes we have made. They have learned some of the lessons that we have yet to learn. Reach out to them and receive the blessings that they have to offer. 

2 comments:

  1. Morning Man of God,
    At first glance, my thought is awww, this is really sweet, but really this is a very powerful post. It is so important to have people like your dad in your life to pour out wisdom and maybe re-direct you in your decisions.

    We don't have all the answers and sometimes just sharing your heart with such people recharges your soul.

    btw...Love the picture. :)

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. Great post.

    It's also important to remember that they won't always be there. Make the most of your time with them...

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/