Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Navigating Doubt


You number my wanderings;
         Put my tears into Your bottle; 
         Are they not in Your book?
When I cry out to You,
         Then my enemies will turn back; 
         This I know, because God is for me.
In God (I will praise His word),
         In the LORD (I will praise His word),
In God I have put my trust;
         I will not be afraid. 
         What can man do to me? -Psalm 56:8-11

Today’s Reading Psalms 54-56; Romans 3


It’s interesting to me to see the change that happens from the first verse to the last. He starts off by talking about his tears and wanderings. Then he quickly proclaims what he believes God will do for him.

Maybe I’m wrong here
, but I see doubt in all of these words. I see him in the last three verses trying to breathe life into his withered faith.

And on the real… I see nothing wrong with that.

Doubt is just another form of fear, and fear is a natural thing in our lives. There are many things to be afraid of. When we get up in the morning and go out into the world there is no guarantee that we will come back home again. There are very real things out there that are very dangerous. Often times
, the fear that we have is logical and smart. It keeps us out of danger.

Here’s the catch though… we cannot let our fears and doubts stop us from living.

That’s the big thing here. It is only when our fear paralyzes us into inactivity and confusion that we have really done something wrong. The paths of even the best laid plans are never without fear. We have to recognize those rocks and boulders in our way and either find ways around them or blast right through them.

Don’t beat yourself up if you become afraid or doubtful. Just make sure that they don’t stop you from moving forward. Never stop searching for a way through. Continue to seek out understanding.

Because when we do persevere and overcome those doubts and fears
, we will find that we have grown from them in ways that we never would have known.

We become brand new, and all the more capable of turning our dreams into reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/