Monday, August 30, 2010

An Intimate Relationship

Since you are my rock and my fortress,
       for the sake of your name lead and guide me. - Psalms 31:3


Today’s Reading: Psalms 31-32; Acts 23:16-35


Wow… “for the sake of your name lead and guide me”.

There is something so striking about those words. It is not just their beauty, but also the force, power, love, affection, and faith behind them. What do they say about the relationship that the author had with God? When I read those words I feel like I am being let in on a secret conversation between two best friends, or two life companions. It is just so intimate to me.

The author is pleading for help. He is asking to be heard, listened to, and rescued. He is seeking salvation from life’s woes and has chosen to ask the one that he trusts the most for help in his time of need.

And that one is God.

I have never had faith that strong. In these types of moments I have always searched within myself rather than searching outside of me. And of course when those moments refused to relent I was forced to recognize that I didn’t have enough.

That’s what humility is I guess… a constant recognition that we are not alone, that we need help, and the courage to reach out from the solitude of self to find true power in the community of God and others.

I cannot wait to find out what life is like when I am able to fully let go; fully put my faith in God rather than myself or my fellow man. It’s funny because when my back gets pushed up against the wall and I decide to finally put my trust in God, miracles do happen.

It’s ok though… just like everything else in life, faith is a work in progress. It’s just amazing to see how far along the writer has come; and how far I need to go. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello Clarence, I can hear the voice of your heart through your words of reverence. When reading Psalms, it is as if you get a glimpse of the love relationship David had with the Lord.

    You stated "When I read those words I feel like I am being let in on a secret conversation between two best friends, or two life companions. It is just so intimate to me."

    In your post, you give a perfect expression of a man who was imperfect, who loved a perfect God.

    Only love could do something so beautifully strange and exhilarating.
    Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Nicole Nothing to add here except... Yes.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/