Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm Cool on Miss Cleo



The Philistines assembled and came and set up camp at Shunem, while Saul gathered all the Israelites and set up camp at Gilboa. When Saul saw the Philistine army, he was afraid; terror filled his heart. He inquired of the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him by dreams or Urim or prophets. Saul then said to his attendants, "Find me a woman who is a medium, so I may go and inquire of her." – Excerpt from 1 Samuel 28

Today’s Reading: 1 Samuel 27-29; Luke 13: 1-22


Remember the Psychic Friends Network from back in the day? Dionne Warwick used to have those telethons on TV for them. They had people call in live and their read their fortunes and what not. The psychics seemed to ask vague guiding questions to come to some conclusion about the caller’s life and the caller would always be flabbergasted. It usually went something like this.


Psychic Friend: “I see… I see… a ball in your childhood, it was very important to you”

Caller: “How did you know that I have played basketball since I was 6 years old and blew out my knee and could never play again and it has made me depressed for the past five years.”


CAUSE YOU JUST TOLD HER FOOL!


But my favorite was Miss Cleo. She was the most hilarious!!!


I’m not sure what was better… was it her ridiculous garb, or perhaps her glorious accent, Or maybe it was just the absurd limits that she pushed the psychic hustle to…


Well here’s the thing about all of that. As fun as it might be to look back at that stuff and chuckle… that whole thing is very real.


I’m cool on Ms. Cheo and ‘em…


In the passage above we see Saul at the breaking point. He violated God’s instructions, God has abandoned him, David (the man chosen by God to be his successor) is at large, and without Samuel around he doesn’t know what to do.


So what does he do? He hollers at an ancient Miss Cleo. There’s one big difference…


He gets results. And it sure ain’t what he wanted to hear.


I definitely believe that there are people out there with this ability. Why don’t I mess with it? I don’t mess with it because I believe that through faith in Jesus I can talk to God directly.


I don’t need a middle man.


Plus… these folks have to be getting their power from somewhere right? Where are they getting it from if it’s not from God…


I’m just sayin…


So next time you are out and about with your friends and you come across a tarot card expert, or a palm reader, or someone in front of a ouija board or crystal ball… think twice about it.


It may not be all fun and games. Something might come at you like these fellas...


Protect Ya Neck!





1 comment:

  1. Some psychic lady said that she had a message from my brother for my mother she came to me and asked what I thought. Of course I was very tempted because I missed my brother. The next day I had a strong urge to tell my coworker about this. He was not Christian actually he was mulim but it did not matter my heart was just tugging to get his opinion. He hen Keres me know abou someone very close to him that got involved in this pyschic mess and from there got into drugs and has never been the same. He tells my that my brothers spirit is with God and the only thing that will be introduced in your mothers life is spirits that are not Godly and this will happen at her weakest time. I told her this and this gave her the strengh to resist that temptation. I feel tha was God protecting us from the ungodly forces that lurke on this planet. The one set of footprints....we are not alone...we are being carried.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/