Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Word is Bond!

Moses said to the heads of the tribes of Israel: "This is what the LORD commands: When a man makes a vow to the LORD or takes an oath to obligate himself by a pledge, he must not break his word but must do everything he said. Numbers 30: 1-2


Word is bond son!

That is so self explanatory that it is almost cliché. But it is something that isn’t as commonplace as many might think.

I live in Los Angeles… enough said…

Well if you don’t live here then maybe it is different for you. But here, flakiness seems to be part of the culture. I know some people who make multiple plans for the same time slot in a day because they know that other folks will cancel on them.

This is a pet peeve of mine.

When I was growing up my dad always taught me the importance of keeping my word. He told me that my word is all that I’ve got. If he can trust my word in the small things then he can trust me when the big things come around.

Our reputation is a lot like our dreams. Both are built step by step, brick by brick. If we are consistent with each brick that we lay then they cannot be destroyed.

But if we are sloppy with our word, if we make promises that we don’t keep, or even back out on seemingly small commitments then over time we are seen as unreliable.

And when the time comes that we really need our loved ones to trust us, all of the sudden we are like that little boy who cried wolf. In our time of need help may not come. Faith will have already been lost. We will be alone, not because we were abandoned, but because we abandoned them. We severed those bonds of trust and faithfulness long ago.

So what do I do if I have already burned some bridges? Is all hope lost?

No!

We just have to start over again. It may be tough and we might be met with resistance; but little by little, brick by brick just about every relationship can be rebuilt again.

It just takes some love, forgiveness, work, and a lot of patience.


Today’s Reading: Numbers 28-30; Mark 8: 22-38

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/