Saturday, March 6, 2010

Little Isaiah



People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. – Mark 10: 13-16


I train a martial art called Capoeira. It is a Brazilian martial art created by enslaved Afro-Brazilians as a means to resist slavery. And now, it has grown to be a very popular martial art all over the world.


One of the things I love most about it is that it is a family affair. If one were to drop by Capoeira Brasil (where I train) you would not only see adults training, but also children of all ages. You may even see a dog or two. It’s more than a martial art. It is a loving community and a way of life.


Late last year I befriended a special little two and a half year old named Isaiah. His mom brings him to class, and while she trains, some of the community of folks hanging around looks after him along with the other children.


He’s such a great child.


We became friends during our annual festival. We were watching some of the masters fight and he was there just giggling and laughing and having a great time. It was easy to see that his spirit was full of the same joy that you could see in his smile. It was as if everything in life was good and beautiful. He had the eyes of someone who is still amazed by the miracles he witnesses everyday.


I waved to him and he giggled and waved back. Then after playing like this for a while he reached for me to hold him. I was totally surprised, but who could say no to that little guy?


Not me.


Ever since then whenever I see him he always gives me a big hug and a smile and we always play for a bit.


There is something special about the way a child sees the world. It is good and pure and inspiring and so full of love. I think this is what Jesus was talking about in the scripture above.


If we could work on being more like children, to see the miracles of love and joy and laughter and play all around us; then maybe we would understand how to be better people.


Perhaps seeing the miraculous in the everyday will help us to love better, to appreciate more of those things we take for granted.


I’m trying to approach everything like it is brand new; each new day, each new person, place and thing.


I’m going to be more like Isaiah so that I can better see the miracle of life that God gives to all of us every single day.


Today’s Reading: Deuteronomy 1-2, Mark 10: 1-31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/