Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Letter to Big Brother Jesus

Then Jesus' mother and brothers arrived. Standing outside, they sent someone in to call him. A crowd was sitting around him, and they told him, "Your mother and brothers are outside looking for you."

"Who are my mother and my brothers?" he asked.

Then he looked at those seated in a circle around him and said, "Here are my mother and my brothers! Whoever does God's will is my brother and sister and mother." Mark 3: 31-35

Dear Big Bro,

I have always looked up to you. Like that one time when I was eight when I almost fell in the lake… you were there to turn it solid, yet soft enough for me to fall and not hurt myself. You even let me walk back on the water to the shore.

That was really nice of you.

And when we were at the wedding and you turned all of that water into wine. Folks wanted to act crazy, but I always had your back. You are my brother. I’d do anything for you.

That’s why I was so hurt at first when we came to visit you. When they told you we were there you acted like we weren’t your family. That’s not cool.

It hurt.

But, I get it now. I know that you have this purpose. You’ve been talking about it since I can remember. You are going to save everyone, make it so that they can connect to your real Dad in heaven. And all the while when you used to say this I was ok with it. Because no matter what you were still my brother. And we had something special.

But now I don’t know what to say. Am I the same to you as the strangers you heal? What about the tax collectors and prostitutes you run with?

You always said that you’re not a respecter of persons… that you love everyone the same… from the bottom of your heart. But how did you always make me feel like I was the only one who mattered?

I guess that’s what’s so special about you. If you can love everyone the way that you love me, I guess that says a lot about you. I hope they feel the love like I have felt it. I know that I always will.

Either way, I’ll keep looking up to you like I always have. You’ll always be my big brother.

With love,

Your Little Bro


Today’s Reading: Numbers 1-3: Mark 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/