Sunday, February 7, 2010

2012

As Jesus was sitting on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to him privately. "Tell us," they said, "when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?"- Matthew 24: 3

So there is a lot of hubbub about 2012 and something major happening during that year.

I don’t know about all that.

The idea is based on the notion that the Mayan Long Count Calendar ends in 2012 and there is no explanation of what happens next.

Although most mainstream scholars reject the notion of some cataclysmic event happening, this idea of a huge shift in the world as we know it continues to build steam.

I have seen several History Channel specials on it and there was even a mediocre, big budget, CGI Hollywood film based on it.

What’s my take? Shoot… I have no idea.

Anyone who grew up in the church like I did spent their whole lives hearing that we are living in the end times.

So in a way I feel like the 2012 folk are a bit late to the party.

I don’t think that any one knows the day or time that the world will end, so it seems to make more sense to me to focus on today.

Let tomorrow bring what it brings.

But in today’s reading Jesus commented on the end of days. It’s vague but still pretty interesting. He talks about all kinds of wars and famines, and earthquakes.

Ummm… yeah that seems to be happening.

Then he talks about Christians being persecuted and killed for their faith.

Yes many folk have a sour taste in their mouth at the word “Christian”, but I’m not sure we are at that place yet of risking life and limb on a massive scale for the faith.

At least not in America

Also there will be false prophets doing all kinds of fancy magic tricks pretending to be the Messiah or the second coming of Jesus.

But you get the general idea. It’s going to be super chaotic.

Although I have no idea if these end times have arrived, I do see something interesting happening. I see that now, more so than ever in my short life, people are questioning.

Truly questioning.

It’s coming from all angles. Many of the Christian, Muslim, Buddist, Jewish and people of faith around me are really questioning why they believe what they believe.

The same goes for many Athesists and Agnostics that I know.

What does it all mean? Why are we here? How much longer will we remain?

There is this sense that we are on the verge of something big.

And maybe that’s just what it is. This big thing that is happening may really just be everyone sensing that there is more to the world than what we have been told; that there is more to the world than what we can see, touch, feel, taste or hear.

I’m down with that.

Questioning is good, great even. It is through the refining fire of these doubts and questions that true faith arises.

Whatever that faith may be…

And perhaps this newfound surge of faith will drive us all to change for the better. Maybe it is the change that we need in order to stop destroying the planet, each other, and ourselves.

Whatever it is... a change is gonna come. Oh yes it will.





Today’s Reading: Leviticus 1-3; Matthew 24: 1-28



2 comments:

  1. Great post. I also thought about the fact that I've heard "end time" talk my entire existence (3 decades to exact), but it's always felt a bit premature. I suppose there is nothing wrong with believing that since things do become more perilous as time passes. Hey, if you stay ready you don't have to get ready right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha stay ready you don't have to get ready... ok Sugafree ;) (so true tho)

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/