Thursday, January 21, 2010

Who's the Boss?



Well according to this scripture it’s definitely not Tony Danza.

Moses said to God, "Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what shall I tell them?"

God said to Moses, "I am who I am . This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.' " – Exodus 3: 13-14

How dope an introduction is that? Here’s my 2010 New International Clarence Version.

Moses: Ay what’s your name?

God: I am.

Moses: You are what?

God: I am.

Moses: Okaaaaay….

I read that and couldn’t help but laugh in admiration of God’s gangsta. But then I thought about it for a minute and was like wow, that’s profound.

When we think about the word “am”, it signifies being and existing. So the way I read it God is really saying that he is the source of being, the source of existence.

This a priori nature of God is a powerful concept for me. In a strange way it provides me with comfort. I feel like man, if the thing that created existence itself is on my team, I can’t help but win.

The only way I can lose is when I try to do things on my own.

I have started to realize that when I am in one of those down moments or down times or when everything seems to be going wrong it tends to be the case that I have also in some way walked away from God.

In a previous post I attached a link to the classic poem “Footprints”. In it the writer describes having a dream where she is walking with God on a beach and moments in her life flash in the sky. She notices that in the toughest moments there was only one set of footprints instead of two.

This upset her and she asked God why… and God said that it was at these moments that He carried her...

I've been there.

Sometimes I struggle with this idea of God being this all powerful, all knowing, all being entity; especially when things happen that I perceive as bad or hurtful to myself and others.

But when I remember God’s position, “I am”, in relation to my position, an itty bitty speck of existence in the history of the universe, it becomes easier to stay in my lane, and focus on my purpose.

As I keep on saying… we just gotta do the best that we can with what we have been given. Let God handle the rest.

The other stuff is above my pay grade.

Today's Reading: Exodus 1-3; Matthew 14: 1-21

3 comments:

  1. "When we think about the word “am”, it signifies being and existing. So the way I read it God is really saying that he is the source of being, the source of existence."
    YES.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing that we can be "an itty bitty speck of existence in the history of the universe" and still have purpose. On another note, there is a new age book called "The Moses Code" and in this book it teaches you to say "I AM THAT I AM"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lezlie Right!? That's what is so deep about this idea of omniscience. Remember Matthew 10:30? Jesus says "And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered."

    That's pretty incredible when you think about how small we are on a galactic scale. The fact that we all have a purpose is beyond mind blowing.

    Oh and that quote from The Moses Code is horrifying. It is so far beyond absurd that I don't even know what to say.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/