Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Prayer for Haiti



Just like many of you I have been overwhelmed with surprise, disbelief and sadness at the news of the earthquake in Haiti; as well as the mounting news of its repercussions that have come pouring in over the last two days. The thought that there may be a hundred thousand deaths and countless more injured and displaced is mind blowing.

I have not been searching for purpose in this. Quite frankly I believe that searching for purpose behind something so large is biting off way more than my feeble mind can chew.

That’s way above my pay grade.

Rather, my focus has been on praying for the lives lost, the hungry, the displaced, and the families that have been touched by this tragedy. It was during one of these moments of prayer at work today that my friend Twitter shared with me Pat Robertson’s take on this matter…

Initially his take made me very angry. Who was he to make the statement that he made? I was offended as a Christian (by yet another deplorable representation) and as a person of African descent by his suggestion that a pact with the devil, rather than military savvy, is what was required for the enslaved folk in Haiti to wrestle their freedom from Napoleon’s grasp.
I felt that his racism and his stereotypically arrogant, “Christian” judgment made a fool of him and everything he claims to represent. And of course I shared this opinion with others.

But then I realized… I was no better than him. My judgment of him placed me in the same space that he occupied with his spiritual judgment of Haiti.

Not good… especially since I JUST finished talking about not judging. (Hey, be nice, I’m a work in process, definitely not a finished product.)

So I’m trying to take a step back; and instead of judging, show love. So… here’s my quick prayer for Haiti and the rest of us.

God,

I thank you for this day and the blessing that you have given to all of us. I thank you for the food we eat, the water we drink and the shelter from which I am typing this right now. I know that you are with all of those who are struggling in Haiti. You are with those who lost their homes and loved ones. You are with those who don’t know where their next meal or drink of water will come from. You are with those who didn’t know where they would sleep last night but some how found a way. Please comfort them and help them pass this difficult time with as much joy as they possibly can.

I ask that you touch the hearts and minds of all the people necessary to help put Haiti back together; and that from the ashes of this disaster will rise a profoundly stronger people, city and nation… a place made stronger by the love and action that will be necessary to create a new and improved home for the millions of folk who are searching for understanding and peace.
And help us here to learn and grow through the love that we share with our brothers and sisters in Haiti. Help us to continue to stay humble and work every day to be the best that we can be so that we are in the position to help when help is needed. And finally, thank you for preparing others to help us when we have needed it.

In Jesus’ name I pray,

Amen

Ways to help:

Text the word “Yele” to 501501 to donate $5 to Haiti. (the $5 will be on your next cell bill).

Or donate more at www.yele.org (Wyclef’s organization to help Haiti.)
Here are some more ways to help.

And if you can’t donate send prayers, well wishes, and good thoughts their way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
A Convo With God by Clarence Mitchell III is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at AConvoWithGod.com.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at http://AConvoWithGod.com/